Association for Recorded Sound Collections (ARSC)
home » archives committee guidelines

Guidelines for Deposit of Official Files into ARSC Archives at UMD (Archives Committee)

As request of the board, the ARSC Archives Committee has prepared these procedures to assist in the determination, weeding, preparation and shipment of ARSC materials to the ARSC Archives at University of Maryland.

Who Should Transfer Files?

Anyone who has held an official position within ARSC including Board members, committee chairpersons (including ad hoc committees, special project assignments, etc.)

When to Transfer Files?

When you leave or resign from an official position in ARSC. (See below).

What Types of Files/Materials to Transfer?

General: : Send non-current original files in hardcopy created in an official capacity that you have determined to have permanent historical value/importance in documenting your official actions/activities of the position, committee, project etc. that you have been responsible for. NOTE: " non-current" means those permanent files or documents that are no longer needed to conduct ongoing activities. Original means the final edited document/report/letter you created and signed, not drafts, duplicates, or copies, etc. On the other hand, "current" files are those you need to conduct current business or would be passing on to your successor as needed to conduct current business which may or may not be deemed later as historically valuable and permanent

Specific: The type of files that constitute permanent non-current historical material includes the originals only of the following which are not needed for current ongoing organizational business:

  • Administrative, operational, and correspondence files created by the
    various officers of the Board.
  • Executive Secretary/Executive Director files.
  • Committee Chairperson files.
  • Complete record set of publications (Journal, Newsletter, Bulletin, Membership Directory, and Special Publications).
  • Complete record set of ARSC conference programs.
  • Originals/edited masters plus copies that may exist of audiovisual material (from annual conferences, Board meetings, workshops etc.) which may include audio, video, and still photography. Identification/labeling is
    required as to what, when, where, and hopefully who (for example, in photographs provide captions).
  • Hardcopy printouts of computer files that you have maintained if you originated the document, correspondence, or report in your official capacity.
  • Other artifacts or memorabilia.

How to Transfer Materials?

Fill out a "Transfer of Documents" form available from the ARSC Archives Committee. The form can be faxed or e-mailed as a WORD doc attachment to you.

List and describe briefly the contents of the folders/boxes identified by ARSC position, office, title, or event that you wish to transfer.

Make copies of transfer form with inventory, enclose original form and inventory in first carton of the shipment, and mail the carton(s)--(certified return receipt or UPS with tracking receipt) to:

Dr. Laura Schnitker, Acting Curator - SCMMC
Special Collections & University Archives
Hornbake Library North
4130 Campus Drive
College Park, MD 20740

Send copies of the "Transfer of Documents" form and inventory with documentation of mailing costs (for reimbursement) to Chuck Howell.


What Not to Transfer

extra copies, duplicates, drafts, etc. of your official paper files (unless audiovisual materials, in which case transfer all originals plus copies that may exist).

copies of other ARSC documents you did not create but received as informational copies in the course of doing ARSC business.

Computer tapes, floppies, diskettes, electronic E-mails (determine what is of permanent historical value, then printout hardcopy for filing and transfer).

If you have questions/concerns about what files to deposit, please contact the chairperson, Chuck Howell, directly.


back to top