the Technical Committee's preservation statement [PDF]
View a list of essential resources for audio preservation [PDF]
the Audio Preservation and Restoration Directory [PDF]
"A Study of Embedded Metadata Support in Audio Recording Software" [PDF]
The ARSC Technical Committee provides guidance on the most effective
application of audio and related technologies to preserve and make accessible
collections of sound recordings. Through research, publication, educational
programs, and other initiatives, the Technical Committee serves audio
professionals, institutions, and private individuals engaged in preserving
the world’s recorded sound heritage.
The ARSC Technical Committee (TC) mission is to provide guidance on
the most effective application of audio and related technologies to
preserve and make accessible collections of sound recordings. To realize
this mission, the TC seeks to:
- Track, understand, and respond to the diverse technical needs of
ARSC members and the broad, international audio-preservation community.
- Research, study, and evaluate strategies, procedures, and techniques
supporting the technical activities required to optimally transfer,
preserve, manage and restore audio recordings.
- Identify or develop tiered approaches that suit the disparate technical
concerns and resources of larger and smaller institutions and individual
- Provide practical guidance on audio-preservation technology.
- Disseminate information that represents the consensus recommendation
of the TC.
- Organize educational programs in the form of workshops, seminars,
training classes, or conference sessions that deliver concentrated
advice on specific topics.
In pursuing these objectives, the TC:
- encourages the exploration and open discussion of technical issues,
ideas, problems, and solutions;
- develops liaisons with organizations and individuals outside of
ARSC who are engaged in related fields, share similar objectives,
and offer complementary strengths and;
- interprets complex technical concepts for the benefit of a less-technical
The primary, long-term goal of the ARSC Technical Committee is to advance
the application of technologies used to preserve and access sound recordings.